Meet Rusty

Monday, March 28, 2011

As I rescued Rusty, yet again from another fate worse than death, I realized I needed to photograph this little guy.  Awsumb has many stuffies and loves them all equally. There is probably a top 10, but he rotates through them all pretty regularly. Wherever you find Awsumb you will also usually find 2 or 3 of these furry creatures around, just to keep him company while he reads or plays with toys.  But none of them compare to his beloved Rusty, with his oversized head, pouty little face, floppy ears and rust colored fur.

When Awsumb was just a baby and could finally sit in the front of the shopping cart we took a trip to Fred Meyer and found this classic stuffed puppy with babysoft fur.  Although Awsumb was too little to understand I handed him this tiny stuffy and said, "If you can hold onto him until the checkout stand, you can keep him." He squeezed him tight all the way through the store and just as we were getting in line he dropped him on the floor.  Nonetheless... Rusty came home to live with us that day.

Since that time Rusty has been a faithful companion to Awsumb. He often went unnoticed because he was small.  But as the years went by it became apparent that he was special.  Awsumb reserved him for times he needed the most personal comfort.  Awsumb carries him around and holds him by his neck, in which after all these year the stuffing has completely broken down.  Rusty is so tiny that he can be jammed into a pocket or at the bottom of a bag.

Unbenounced to me he went to many firsts with Awsumb, including the first week of 1st Grade. Although, Awsumb had been in preschool for 3 years he just had to have his most treasured companion with him when he went to the big new school.  At the end of the week when I discovered he had been hiding him in his backpack everyday I questioned Awsumb. Because of my contamination issues I was pretty upset that he had taken him out of the house without asking permission.  His reponse was, "I kept him in my backpack so I would know he was there, just in case I needed him."

Because he is just a little guy I don't think I have ever caught him in a photo with Awsumb. And because Awsumb treasures him so, he is usually tucked away safely in his room.  Rusty has survived many trips through the washing machine and is softer than the day we brougtht him home.  I hope Awsumb has him to love forever!

My little brother had a stuffed dog name Woofy.  My Auntie had a favorite doll Tookie.  I named all my baby dolls Mary because she was the mother of Jesus.  What do you remember about your favorite stuffy?

Update: It's all worth it when you find a little note on your bed.  We took Awsumb to the batting cages today And all I'll say about it is that it was epic and I still feel contaminated!

"Thanks for the fun things today. Thank you for cleaning Rusty, I was very worried. You two can share him for the night, you earned it.  :)  Love, Awsumb"

Oh, and he gave me two Zingers snack cakes. (Which have recently become a hot commodity around our house.)

1 comments:

Kenneth said...

Awsumb is so tender with his little friends. He is just as nice to younger children when he has a chance to play with them.

It really is amazing how well taken care of these stuffies are. The look on his face when he thinks one of them is dirty is heartbreaking.

But, another save for the queen of clean! Good job, Wendy!

Post a Comment