The Letter

Friday, November 8, 2013

Dennis Awsumb, Duane Hardy,
Little Awsumb and Kenneth Hardy
October 2006 Awsumb's 5th Birthday
 Mariner's Dugout
Safeco Field, Seattle, Washington
 
When we first learned that Duane was sick my father was among the first to invite us to come stay at his home anytime at a moments notice so that we could visit and spend time with the Hardy family during what he knew would be a tough next so many months. 

During this time my father was very busy and traveling lot. He didn't want to intrude and didn't know what he could do.  And in the end Duane went pretty fast. 

Kenneth and I grew up just 2 streets apart and our families went way back and our fathers had always been friends.  Our little brothers played ball together.  Our fathers played church sports together.  They also served together in the church clerk's office.

So when we drove out for the funeral my father told me he really wanted to share some things with Shirley but didn't know if he could be composed enough to do it. My reply, "Say it in a Hallmark."  The next morning he left specially selected cards out for Kenneth and Shirley that included the letter below.

This past few weeks many people have been especially kind to us, sharing cards, flowers, plants or asking where they could send a donation or simply a hug and an "I'm sorry."  But this letter has touched us all the most and I will keep it as a treasure for my son to have to remember that his Grandfathers were friends and both loved him very much.  I hope Awsumb learns from both of our fathers about commitment, working hard and their sacrifice and service to our country.  This letter encompassed so much of what Duane meant to all of us and Kenneth's family even decided it needed to be read during his memorial service.

Kenneth and I are so blessed to have grown up with such outstanding fathers!

So with my father's permission, the letter:


Duane Taught Me Many Things

Duane taught me to be passionate about many things - whatever Duane was doing he gave it his full attention. If Duane was playing ball or doing finance work for the Church it was the only thing that mattered at the time.

Duane taught me to never give up.  If we were playing softball and were down by 10 runs Duane would say we are still in this and many times we would win the game.

Duane taught me to never wear glasses in the ocean.  Once when we were in California he lost his glasses in the ocean, from that day on I never wore my glasses in the ocean.

Duane taught me to be helpful to other people.  Many times he would figure out a way to help a neighbor in need either by doing the task himself or finding someone else that could help.

Duane taught me to always be the first one "there."  Duane always liked to be at the opening day of any event - like a Bees or Trappers game.  I enjoy to this day going to things on the opening day.

Duane taught me to never run up a score on another team. Once at a BYU football game BYU was way behind and the other team kept scoring.  Duane said, "LaVell Edwards would never do that."  So I try to never run up a score on anybody.

Duane taught me to see into the future.  When a ball diamond was being built behind the church Duane was always the first one to sign up to work on the field, whether to rake the rocks or lay the sod.  As we raked those rocks and laid the sod, Duane would say, "This will be a great ball field some day."

Duane taught me to always support my wife.  Duane and Shirley had many different interests from each other and supported each other in those interests.

Duane taught me to love my kids no matter what. Duane was always interested and proud of each of his children's interests and accomplishments.

Duane taught me to plan ahead - we spent time together in the ward clerk's office planning how to get Wendy and Kenneth to go out with each other - it was one of the best things we did as a team.  As a result we share a wonderful grandson.

Duane taught me many things - I will miss that guy.

-Dennis Awsumb

1 comments:

Colette said...

Beautiful Wendy. Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful legacy for Awsumb. My thoughts have been with you and your family these past few weeks.

Post a Comment