Missing: One Grey Sock! $$Cash Reward if found$$

Thursday, April 9, 2009

I have a confession. I am not a perfect parent.

You see, as many mothers do, I often measure my perfection as a parent by things that might not seem to matter to other people.

One of these is that I have NEVER lost a baby sock. Ever! Not one in 7 1/2 years of parenting. Not even one.

Years before I had a child I would often notice mothers standing around holding babies with only one sock. Or I would see a child in a stroller with one or more socks holding on for deal life. Probably because I live with OCD this always bothered me. I couldn't stop thinking about it... Where was the other sock, where had they left the other sock? (Where was Sunday?! - Harry and Sally Reference #1) Did they know they were missing a sock? Doesn't it bug the baby to have on only one sock, or for the sock to barely cover their toes?

So, when I became a mother this became a unit of measurement for me to prove I was a perfect parent. I vowed that I would never loose a baby sock.

I always felt like this made me a perfect mother. It shows how organized I am. It shows how much I care about and love my son, because I always stay on top of the laundry, fold it and put everything away right when it comes out of the dryer. :) LOL!

It shows that I don't have mountains of clean (or heaven forbid dirty!) laundry piled anywhere in my house. (side note- Sometimes on those messy house shows on TV they show people who live with MOUNTAINS of laundry piled everywhere. How do people who have mountains of laundry on their bed sleep at night anyway?)

Sure, once in a while a pair of socks is separated and one gets washed in one load and the second the load after. But by the end of the day all socks are paired and tucked neatly away ready to be worn the next day.

I once lost a sock a couple years ago. I didn't tell anyone for months! I just couldn't admit I was a failure. Luckily I found it folded up in a set of sheets! And once again, I went on with my head held high, knowing I was a perfect mother.

Well, today one of Awsumb's grey socks is missing. I can't find it anywhere! I could easily blame Kenneth. As a side effect of me not always being home nowadays I think he scrambles a bit as they are getting ready to go to baseball practice. And when they come home they still haven't figured out a good system to contain all their muddy clothes until I can wash them. Hopefully it will turn up in his baseball back pack or something so I can go on continuing to believe I am a perfect mother!

If you find it let me know! There may be a reward.

What things do you use to measure your parenting? What makes you a perfect parent?

5 comments:

Wendy Jean said...

FOUND!!!

As I was walking out of my bedroom just now I noticed something behind my bedroom door. A GREY SOCK!

It must have fallen out of the laundry basket.

And once again, I can go on as the perfect mother. Whew!

Mickie Ann said...

hahaha!! I am glad you found your sock. How do I measure myself??? I don't know. My cousin always... always has a clean kitchen - no dishes - always has them done. I am trying to impliment that, sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. We car pool with a family for Tietjen's preschool (needed someone to bring him home when I had no vehicle last sememster) They smell, I mean they smell. Their house, everything... I vacum all the time now, and bathe and airfreshen everything... I don't want to smell - Frebreeze is my best friend. Dirty faces, (same family) looked like dinner was still on his face, from the night before - Make sure faces are clean. I always make my bed - always - the kids just have blankets I fold. In general - I just like to be clean, look clean, and smell clean - I guess that would be mine - weird, never thought I was so obsessed about it - guess I join the club!!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

I LOVE THIS POST! Seriously! Its a breath of fresh air. You need to start writing that book of yours so moms everywhere can see how "normal" we all are.

For me...I know I'm NOT perfect because my house is always messy. There is so much clutter around. It drives me nuts, but I can't control it. I don't want to nag or bark or heaven forbid touch my husband's stuff and put it neatly away. And then my own stuff...well, its a cluttered mess too. I also refuse to make my kids keep their toys only in the toy room or only in their bedroom--they want to play where ever I am, and I refuse to stop my life (I'm selfish!!) and stay only in the toyroom all day so we can be around each other. So, they play at my feet and I love it...most of the time. But it sure makes my house NOT perfect!

I know I'm a perfect parent because I take my kids to interesting places--instead of just Disneyland or the waterpark. I have been lucky enough to afford to take them to Russia, Australia, Germany, China. And things closer to home like National Parks and ghost towns. We do a lot of history and social studies type of things (young miner's class in Colorado was a HIT!) and I'm proud of my kids for knowing more then just Micky Mouse and what new ride there is at the theme park.

I know I'm a NORMAL parent because I loose my patience with my kids and yell and scream and use the Angie Monster Voice...a bit more often then I should.

Thanks for the post Wendy...I know I can count on you to keep me grounded. Sure do miss ya!

Anonymous said...

Hi WEndy,
My ritual that I use to define myself as the perfect parent it tucking my kids in at night. We say prayers, we read scriptures, Isaac and I talk about good deeds, and then I individually tuck both kids into bed..complete with hugs..If for some reason I'm not home when they go to bed I sneak in and kiss them. oh, and I try to make a healthy lunch for the kids every day. (if for some reason I have completely failed by not going to the grocery store, I feel really aweful about them having to buy school lunch..
Wendy, your posts are fun to read!! You should write a book! (linda F)

J and T plus Three said...

Hi Wendy! I am loving catching up with your blog! I know this is an old post but it made me think so I am commenting. I am not a perfect parent but what makes me feel like a "perfect parent" is what great people my kids are. I have a 16 and almost 15 year old who like me! And I like them! They are good citizens, neighbors, and friends. They have strong testimonies and are great examples to others. They are home when I ask, check in when I ask, don't talk back, get good grades and have good attitudes 95% of the time, we also have a GREAT time together. Not a night goes by at our dinner table that we don't laugh our heads off. That to me is perfection! I also have an 8 year old who I didn't really talk about because she is 8, so no real struggle of getting her to obey, just yet. She will be the one who keeps me on my toes! :)

Post a Comment