Pockets!

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Why do boys pants have to come with so many pockets? And why do boys think they have to fill them all up? And they pick the oddest things to fill them up with!

I have a system - I always check my pocket when I take my pants OFF. After I married Kenneth, I trained him to do the same so I would not have to check pockets when I do the laundry. Soon after I because the mother of a little boy I realized this would no longer work.

Sometime during the toddler years little boys discover pockets and are determined to fill them up. Twigs, rocks, shells, grass, etc. And you can never throw it out because it's all "treasure." I had to designate a place in the garage for the rocks and sticks because they were simply NOT coming in my house!

Awsumb attends a Montessori school where most of the classroom is hands-on manipulative materials. Because of this the kids come home with beads, puzzle pieces, and other odd items. At the beginning of each year the teachers send the same note home begging parents to "please send any found items back to the classroom... even if the piece seems insignificant because it goes to something in the classroom... please just send it back."

On day when I went in to help in Awsumb's classroom at the beginning of this school year I found him walking around with a couple of other boys getting set up for a project. Awsumb was wearing cargo pants and the sides of his legs were bulging to capacity. I asked him what he was carrying around and he began to list, "Two pencils, a pencil sharpener, an eraser, a glue stick, an extra glue stick, a ruler, scissors (basically his entire pencil box) and a white cloth." I asked what the white cloth was for and I guess he could tell I was about to confiscate it so he became very defensive stating, "but we need it in case our hands get sticky from the glue!"

I began to become suspicious of where the white cloth came from. When I questioned Awsumb he called his friend over and had him lift up his sweat shirt to reveal the backside of the GAP letters that were sewn on. Apparently the backing was itchy, so they removed it and Awsumb thought it would just be the best cleaning cloth! LOL!

YUCK! So this cloth came from the INSIDE of some boys sweatshirt. I don't care who it is that is soooo cooties! I begged him to throw it away reassuring Awsumb that the classroom had a sink in case they needed to wash their hands.

What have you found in your little boys (or girls) pockets?

6 comments:

Mickie Ann said...

Tietjen accidently took a Lego guy "Obi Wan" from Grandpnts Awsumb house and when ever he finds it he puts it in his pocket to give back to them. It has made it through a couple of washes, because I didn't find it in there. Also, Tietjen now is starting to not like socks, so he takes them off, puts them in his pockets and puts his shoes back on??? But they are always IN his pockets, all day long.. boys are just plain weird.

Erin said...

parker puts money in his pockets & i forget to check. they don't always fall out in the washer, but once the dryer gets going you can hear them clanging around. also, his sitter will puts snacks in his pockets & not tell us. more than once there's been fruit snacks, animal crackers, pretzels, etc...unfortunately, the crumbly ones get smashed before i can get them out his pockets. that's always fun.

Amy Bartlett said...

We have everything in our pockets!!! food, candy, rocks, sand, money, toys, pieces of some old broken something we find outside. Finding these things in the laundry drives me nuts! Boys will be boys!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Again, another fun post. :)

I have been VERY lucky...my kids only put rocks in their coat pocks. BUT they always remember they are there, and they never become a problem. Simply amazing!

Mickie Ann said...

okay, now I have more to say. I did laundry yesterday and I found 3 different toys in the washer, because I didn't check Tietjen's pockets. I laughed and laughed, thinking about this post.

Wendy Jean said...

Seriously I might sew the pockets on all toddler clothes shut if I have another child.

At Awsumb's new school they have pea gravel on the playground. Well, he would bring handfuls of it home everyday! They were always "special colors" or whatever.

I finally had to tell him it was against the rules! And that if every kid brought pockets full of it home there would be none left. WELL, his response was, "No MOM, they have TONS of it!" LOL!

Post a Comment