102 Minutes That Changed America

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remember the New York City Blackout of 2003? I can't remember all the details or how long they were out of power, but I think it's comical that many of us watched it hour by hour on TV! News crews ran around the city collecting footage of things such as: restaurants as they emptied their freezers and grilled up steaks for spontaneous block parties, ice cream palors scooping it out for free before they had to deal with a melted icecream soup mess, hotels that didn't have enough flashlights for their guests, etc. Here was an entire city with no power, people finall forced having to talk to eachother, work together, etc... and the rest of us are glued to TV screens watching it play out. Kind of pathetic and I admit because of my love for a great train wreck I watched.

So many things play out for us all on live TV these days. 20 years ago can you imagine we would watch the U.S. Army lying on their bellies in a shooting match on a bridge in Afganistan? But nothing compares to news broadcasts I watched on 9/11/01 CNN replayed the real time live footage in a special called 9/11:Five Years Later. But I think some of the most interesting footage was from civillians who just happened to catch the chaos on video as seen in 102 Minutes That Changed America And of course as I have recommended before 9/11 - the documentary that was supposed to be about a rookie firefighter who becomes a man and turned out to show him become a man in a span of 9 hours.

The subject of voyeurism is very much on my mind as I am finally reading The Hunger Games... more later.

Read last year's blog about Remembering 9/11

2 comments:

Soozcat said...

The 9/11 documentary is hard to watch. Especially the part with the irregular jarring thumps. People tend not to talk about that part of the disaster now, because it's just too horrible to contemplate what it must have been like for those people who stood in the window of a burning, shattered skyscraper and had to take that horrible decision: burn to death, or jump?

Tracy said...

I will never get the images of people jumping from the towers out of my mind...horrific. 9/11 is a documentart everyone should watch.

Oooo, Hunger Games...Can't wait to hear your reaction!

Post a Comment