No Time To Read!

Sunday, September 5, 2010


A friend of mine recently wrote about not understanding when people say, "I have no time to read." Because of her love of reading and because reading came easy for her at a young age and because she is just super smart I think she probably devours books the way I do soap. I kind of understood what she meant at the time, because I too love to read. And though my mind wanders and I often have to reread passages and have never have the best reading comprehension, I am always in the middle of a 2 or 3 different books, have a stack beside the bed I want to read next and of course an Amazon Wish List.

Reading is such a great sport because you can do it anywhere, anytime! My favorite times and places to read are: Rainy days, sitting in my cozy armchair curled up by the fire. And bright sunny days, sunk down into a lawn chair cooling my feet in the grass. And although you might think I would get more reading done during all those dreary days we have here in Seattle, I usually read the most in the summer. And I just knew this summer I would finally get through the stack I had let build up over the last few months.

Well, I walked by my stack the other day and realized that I didn't even make a dent! For the first time ever I understood what, "I don't have time to read." really meant. It means, "I love to read, I want to read, I plan to read, but I didn't have any TIME to read!"

As this crazy summer of ours is coming to an end, I realized this has been the busiest summer of my life and it went by in a heart beat. We never made it to the Oregon Coast. We never painted the garage. We never swam in the lake. And I didn't really have time to read.  I did listen to quite a few recorded books and even read with my little boy. I guess I need to make time. Time to be by myself, time to refect, time to read.

What keeps you from reading? When do you read most and where do you like to read?

5 comments:

The Kidd Family said...

When I was working I could read a book in 2-3 days. I worked at a call center and you wouldnt think you could read much with all the incoming calls but I worked at 5 in the morning when we would only get a call maybe every 5 minutes. Since having kids i dont think I have read but maybe 5 books which is pretty sad. I love to read but also love to play and be with my kids and watch them grow. I think when they both start school on wednesday I will be able to pick up a book again with out feeling guilty and get back to reading my VC Andrews books.

Soozcat said...

I will read anywhere. In bed, on the sofa, in the front yard, on airplanes, walking from place to place, waiting to see the doctor, standing in line, even -- and I'm pretty sure this admission will gross you out -- in the bathroom.

When do I read most? Uh, Thursday.

No, I think actually I read the most in the fall. There's something about back-to-school season and crisp air and coloring leaves that inspires me to read.

Wendy Jean said...

Sooz - I LOVE YOU!

colleen said...

Reading is a favorite thing. I can read anywhere! The beach is one of my favorite places but that doesn't happen a lot! I also love to sit out on the back deck in the evening with something to read. On cold winter days a chair by the fire is the best. In the last 5 weeks I have finished 8 books. Your dad doesn't understand - he thinks reading is boring.

Soozcat said...

Awww.

Also... you devour soap?!

Post a Comment