Calm Waters

Monday, October 5, 2009


Awsumb has always been such a good little boy. Ever since he was small he obeyed house rules and stayed out of trouble. He committed so few toddler crimes that I can name them… One day I caught Awsumb pulling all the tissues out of a Kleenex box. Another time he faintly colored on a wall with crayon. The worst was probably the day he got into Kenneth’s mission scriptures.

Kenneth had a leaf pressed between the pages that was special to him. Awsumb crumbled it all over the library floor. At the time he was deathly afraid of the vacuum, for his punishment he was forced to help me vacuum it up by holding onto the handle. I am sure he will be in counseling for that when he is 23.

Oh and I can’t leave out the time I left him sitting in his high chair alone while I took a phone call in the office. When I returned I found his entire dish of macaroni & cheese with peas on the floor. The final incident almost landed me in the nut house … I had been on the phone with my friend Peg and was so upset at the scene I found that she had to “talk me down” and even offered to come over and help me clean it up!

Of course since I am his mother I think Awsumb is still just about the most perfect little boy. He has since had a couple bigger instances, but besides talking too much in class while he is supposed to be doing schoolwork he is really a pretty great kid. Oh and then there is that sassy thing… sigh...

As he is approaching the age of accountability, we have been talking to him a lot about being responsible for his own actions and that he is the one that controls how his life is going. We have had many discussions as of late as to why we punish him or take something away for a time when he messes up. So tonight at dinner Awsumb made this observation and I thought it really showed that he is finally getting it. He said…

“Life is kind of like the sea. When we make good choices it’s like living in calm waters. But, when we mess up we create these huge waves, which make life hard for us. But then when we repent it’s calm waters again.”

Well Little Awsumb, here’s to a life of Calm Waters! Smooth Sailing little one!

(photos: above by Awsumb Hardy – Lake Union 2007
below Awsumb Sailing the Puget Sound age 2 on Peg and Dick's boat)


2 comments:

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Beautiful!

Mickie Ann said...

Wow - that is a deep thought comming from such a young one!! Looks like he listens good to FHE & Primary Lessons!! I am very impressed!! I will definatly use that someday, saying my soon to be 8 nephew said this...!!! You have great things in your future little Awsumb!!! We love ya!!

Post a Comment