Vampires and Witches - OH MY!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I discovered The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova a few years ago and love it so much I have read it quite a few times. It’s not just another vampire story, but THE vampire story… one of the only books I have read that could actually stand up to Bram Stoker’s classic. The Historian is historical fiction that follows three generations as they search for the Dracula. Their journey takes them to olds countries with rich history and tradition. Along they their individual love stories are also told. Not cheesey in anyway. The audio version of this books is wonderful. The actors really bring out the characters and it is better than any vampire story or movie I have seen or read.

This year I found The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, which takes place in modern times and in the time of the Salem witch trials simultaneously. As Connie searches for a mysterious book by her grandmother she learns more about who SHE really is. I enjoyed this quite a bit and it is a quick read.

Both of these books are more mystery books, which is probably why I enjoyed them so much. I will have to share my thoughts on Twilight another day... (eye roll)

I will also add The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips as part of these suggestions. Set in the 1920's this one is another great adventure that reads much like The Historian. The story is told through journals and letters... If you think it's slow, hang on because you don't want to miss the ending!

Do you have any seasonal book recommendations?

4 comments:

Soozcat said...

This is the time of year I like to read Shirley Jackson. "The Haunting of Hill House" and "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" are both eerie as all get out.

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Oh gosh, you should ask Rick on FB...he has been reading Vampire books for probably 15 -25 yrs (hows that for an time frame?). He is really interested in historical accuracy and books that don't stray much from that. Ask him on FB...he'll have a lot to tell you!

bluestocking23 said...

Oh yes! The Historian is the best vampire book I've read short of Stoker. I love it! I will look into your other two recommendations! (I'm giving some thought to my other favorites to recommend...)

Wendy Jean said...

sooz, thanks for the suggestions.. there was a black and white movie of the one right?

Toby, waiting to hear your suggestions!

Post a Comment