Imaginary Jobs

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Tooth Fairy... just another one of those "imaginary jobs" of Motherhood - love that and totally stole it from a friend! Some times all of these extra imaginary jobs we have to do can be overwhelming. Especially when you feel the need to have a different costume for each one!  (I was recently asked if I had a "Laundry Fairy" costume!)  I don't have a Tooth Fairy costume today, but I was a Tooth Fairy for Halloween in 3rd grade.

You know when you have those dreams about showing up to school or work naked?  I don't have those dreams, but I do dream about showing up for school and not wearing the right cheer leading uniform. Well, my first day on the job as the Tooth Fairy was like that... instead of not wearing the right thing I didn't have any cash!

Awsumb was so nervous about his first loose tooth that he didn't tell me until it was just hanging there. In true "Dennis Awsumb" fashion I said, "let me just wiggle it" and ripped it out! And because I didn't know he had a loose tooth I couldn't prepare ahead. And well, that's about how the next 7 loose ones went as well.

The night I ripped the first one out I only had a $10 bill. And because Kenneth was so mad that I had just ripped the tooth out I felt bad and wrote Awsumb a special note with sparkly pen from the Tooth Fairy... something about being brave. Well, that was a big mistake, from then on Awsumb expected $10 AND a special note. Although I know he loved the money, he really loved the notes too and keeps them in his keepsake box.

Just like so many of the other imaginary and real jobs of Motherhood there is no manual. So of course I learned some of the best ideas AFTER Awsumb had already lost most of his baby teeth ... if you are lucky enough to read this before your babies teeth fall out you can take advantage...

1- Leave a special note from the Tooth Fairy. Use glitter, sparkly pen or special paper.

2- Gold Coins or $2 bills are available at the bank upon request. Get a few now and set them aside. They will be super fun for your child to find and make a great keepsake.

3- Money from around the world. Ask people you know traveling to different countries to bring back coins or a small bill. Explain to your child that the Tooth Fairy travels all over the world and often has the wrong currency. Help your child find the country on a map and take the opportunity to do a little research together.

4- Glitter! Don't forget to leave a trail of glitter! (If you suffer from OCD skip idea #4... cleaning up glitter is just too maddening!)

What do you do when you don your Tooth Fairy costume?

3 comments:

The Kidd Family said...

Thanks for the fun ideas!

J and T plus Three said...

I dream about showing up in the wrong cheerleading uniform too!!! We must've been traumatized in some way about that in high school! lol :)

Tracy said...

I love those ideas! I think I'll try to find a $2 bill. The last time Wyatt got money from another country he wanted to go there immediately and cried for an hour when he realized he may not get to go there for a really long time or perhaps NEVER!

Post a Comment