Half Way There!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Last night as I was playing the Birthday Fairy, ya know blowing up a few balloons and putting together the traditional treasure hunt for Awsumb to find his birthday gift… I started to panic thinking, “We’re halfway there!  It can’t be over so fast?”  But halfway to what?  To eighteen?  To adulthood?   At 18 years old he will be just beginning his senior year in high school.  Although we are already on the private school track I am sure college will cost us even more than we can ever imagine!  And then what?  Am I done being his mother?  No way, he’s mine for life.

Even on his worst day, even on MY worst day I would never joke about selling him, or call him a monster.  I can't help but feel sad when I hear these things, even in fun come from other mothers.  I love teaching him and guiding him.  I love spending time with him. I truly love being his mother.  We hoped and prayed to have a baby for so many years. He is mine and I am so blessed to have him.
Sadly, I know he really isn’t mine and someday my goal is to return him to his sender, Our Father In Heaven.  I was blessed to be chosen to lead him and guide him and I pray that I might show him the way!

Awsumb is lucky to go to a school that offers a continuing Montessori education that focuses on educating the whole child. We often joke about the ‘cosmic education’ our child is receiving (yes the school boasts about this in its philosophy!)  But seriously that’s part of the reason we picked this type of education for him.  Educating him emotionally and spiritually is important to us.   As I have blogged about before the Montessori classroom has a special birthday celebration each year. 

(You can read Awsumb 8th Bday here - Updated with photos!)

This year his teacher chose to begin a new celebration.  After reading a story about the beginning of time which ended on October 19, 2001 when Awsumb was born Ms. B began to talk about all the many things our family must have wished and dreamed for him.   His teacher then invited the class to close their eyes and think of a dream or wish they might have for Awsumb.  In the middle of the circle she placed a tray with two beautiful wood bowls.  One filled with rice and the other with beans. “Rice and beans are important because they feed the world and can also represent our dreams.”  Then she invited the class to place a spoonful on beans or rice in a beaded bag while they tell Awsumb their dream or wish for him.  Ms. B went first and told Awsumb that she hopes he will make a wonderful discovery and use his power of communication to share it with the world.  The children all had beautiful and fun dreams and wishes for Awsumb. Afterwards the bag was tied up and presented to Awsumb.

My dream for Awsumb is that he will learn all he can, to grow up to be strong, to be a leader and to be a kind man.

What are your dreams for your children or yourself?

2 comments:

J and T plus Three said...

Love this post Wendy! It is exactly how I feel about being a mom too. I truly love every minute. And while I realize that my older two will soon be in a different phase of their lives, college and a mission!, I am so happy to see the kind of young adults they are turning out to be. With them getting older and navigating through their trials and issues more "on their own" -I am here always for guidance and always will be- but I have always encouraged them to figure out solutions to their problems and to be proactive in their own lives. Seeing them now at 15 and 16 I can clearly see a successful road ahead. One that will not be without trials but one that they will be able to navigate and be happy. It is such a rewarding time to be their mom. :) Hugs to you and that awesome boy Awsumb! You are both amazing!

Kenneth said...

Every time I hear "cosmic education", I assume that Awsumb will finish school to become this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_surfer.

Seriously, though, I hate thinking about him growing up and moving away. I like our little family and our crazy family activities. I just want to hang on to them forever.

Post a Comment