The Unmedicated Child

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I saw this episode of Frontline a while ago..

The Medicated Child

You can watch the entire program online.

Kenneth just rediscovered it and of course it led to ongoing discussion in our home about this topic. I know that this is a very complicated subject. But I do think that we are medicating kids too fast. I know in my own situation we have done everything possible to keep me off meds. There may come a time where I do need them for a while. And I am not opposed to getting chemical help when needed. But I do feel like it should be the last resort.

If you have never thought about this issues or if you ar struggling with this decision in your own family I recommend this program and the discussion that will follow.

2 comments:

Soozcat said...

There are far too many doctors who are too quick to medicate, in part because some parents pressure them into it. But personally, having taken medication for depression in the past, I've got to say that it has its place. (And if you're going to choose between taking prescription meds and "self-medicating" through the use of drugs and alcohol, as many of my ancestors did, I'll take the prescription meds any day!)

It's difficult to tell which route to take at times--whether that ends up being cognitive therapy/counseling, medication, or a careful combination of both. It's really a tightrope walk. (There are times when I actually wish I had explored the medication side of things before I started college; many of my bad experiences the first time through had to do with issues related to unmitigated depression.)

Wendy Jean said...

Sooz, I totally agree with you. I think meds have their place and are much better than other alternatives. My realy concern is with young children being overmedicated.

Post a Comment