Pork and Apple Stew

Tuesday, May 4, 2010


Because we live in the northwest I cook with apples all the time. This is a favorite around our house in the fall. I am posting it for Jennie as a gluten free suggestion. Let me know if your family likes it!

2 green apples, peeled and sliced
1 small onion diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
About 2 lbs cubed pork
1/2 cup wine or chicken stock
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried sage

Cook about 7 hours on low

The recipe says to coat the pork with a tsp or so of flour before you put it in the crock pot. Before serving use corn starch to thicken, and stir in about 1/3 cup whipping cream. SALT to taste.

But nowadays I use this stuff called Thick N' Thin Non Starch Thickener- About 2 tbs. (instead of flower or corn starch and I believe it is gluten free). Although the cream does make it rich and delicious I have left it out and it is just fine. And used about 1 tsp of kosher salt to season.

Serve with fresh steamed green beans and corn bread.

To Jazz up that corn bread when I make packaged cornbread I do a Rachael Ray trick and add 1 cup frozen corn and sometimes some pepper jack cheese, shredded and green onions to the mix.)\

I do think that all stews have better flavor if you brown the meat first. Next time I might skip to crock pot and just brown the meat in my le creuset pot and then put the whole thing in the oven for a couple hours. But it was just fine in the crock pot and without the cream it isn't heavy at all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment