Memorial Day - A Day of Remembrance

Monday, May 31, 2010

Each Memorial Day I take time to pause and consider the true meaning of this holiday. Memorial Day represents one day of national awareness and reverence, honoring those Americans who died while defending our Nation and its values. I came across the following thoughts a while back...

Traditional observance of Memorial Day has diminished over the years. Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day. At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades. Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.

To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps."

The Moment of Remembrance is a step in the right direction to returning the meaning back to the day. What is needed is a full return to the original day of observance. Set aside one day out of the year for the nation to get together to remember, reflect and honor those who have given their all in service to their country.

But what may be needed to return the solemn, and even sacred, spirit back to Memorial Day is for a return to its traditional day of observance. Many feel that when Congress made the day into a three-day weekend in with the National Holiday Act of 1971, it made it all the easier for people to be distracted from the spirit and meaning of the day. As the VFW stated in its 2002 Memorial Day address: "Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed greatly to the general public's nonchalant observance of Memorial Day."

Some people believe holidays like Washington's Birthday, Veteran's Day and Memorial Day should be moved back to their tradition date of celebration in order to preserve the meaning of these events. What do you think?

Although my Grandfather and Great Uncles did not die in their service, I also remember and honor them. I am thankful they were willing to serve.

Kenneth Paul Awsumb
July 3, 1918- May 16, 2010
I remember when I was a young girl, Uncle Kenneth visited our home on a busy summer day. He jumped right into our family activities, playing in a baseball game at the church ballpark with my father and later enjoying a dinner from our garden. He was fun and outgoing, just like my Grandpa Ardin Awsumb. I imagine those Awsumb brothers had a great time growing up together. I am told they lived across from the church where they often participated in church plays. They were silly and fun and shared the same sense of humor.

Roger Awsumb
July 10, 1926 - July 15, 2002
My Uncle Roger Awsumb's memory is preserved as he played Casey Jones on the Lunch with Casey Children's TV show in Minnesota. Although I never met Uncle Roger, my son and I have shared lots of giggles watching video of this silly show.

Ardin W. Awsumb
Sept. 16, 1915 - May 7, 2005
I have shared my favorite picture of my Grandpa Ardin Awsumb before in my post titled THE NOSE . I am sad that I grew up so far away from him, but I am glad he lived long enough to make a few memories with my son who I shared his name with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment