Adventures in Babysitting

Saturday, November 6, 2010

There's nothing worse than coming home from a well deserved night out with my husband only to find a sink full of dishes.  Yes, I know the most important thing is that the babysitter keep my child safe and entertain him.  But the dirty dishes thing always makes me a little mad.  Or to find food wrappers all over the house. Once I found a doritos package in Awsumb's bedroom. He said the babysitter gave him a snack before bed  - in bed? DORITOS?  You have to be kidding me.  Actually we have pretty much been blessed with great babysitters.

On the flip side, we only have one child and I am sure don't pay as much as other families in the area.  And we almost always call last minute.  Because we don't get babysitters very often it's a party when we do.  I usually let Awsumb have Kraft Mac and Cheese on babysitter nights.  And for him to have a playmate to hangout with all evening... someone paid to listen to him talk, talk, talk.... well, he's in heaven.

After hearing about a few babysitting disasters from friends, and because I know a babysitter probably doesn't remember all the stuff we tell them as we are running out the door, I created this little Note to the Babysitter.  I hope you find it useful.  I have this printed on 1/2 sheet of paper and just fill it out and leave it with the sitter.  Some things seem obvious, but I feel it's just better to make sure everyone knows the rules.

Note to Babysitter…

Dinner and Snacks_____________
• Awsumb can only have snack/treat if he ate his lunch/dinner.
• Please rinse and load dishes.
• No food upstairs or in the family room.

TV & Video Games____________
• Awsumb may watch ONE movie after dinner.
• He may only select a movie from HIS movie collection.
• Only “E” rated Xbox or Wii games.
• The computer/internet and office are off limits.

Activities and play______________
(sometimes I suggest games, activites or even homework that needs to be finished)

Bedtime______________________
• Please help Awsumb clean up any toys left out.
• Brush teeth, Potty, PJ's
• Awsumb should put his clothes into the laundry sorter.

Thank you for babysitting for us tonight!
• Please help yourself to any food or drink you like.
• If the family room is cool in the evening feel free to cover up with a quilt.
• No need to answer the phone unless you recognize the number on caller id.

We will be at________ Until____
Please call if you have any questions or concerns…
Daddy's Cell 867-5309
Mommy’s Cell 867-5309
Neighbors Phone 867-5309

In case of emergency call 911
House Address 123 Cherrywood Lane, Anywhere USA
House Phone 867-5309

Tonight we were blessed with a great babysitter. The first ever who DID THE DISHES!  I guess she's a keeper.  Didn't you just love that old movie, "Adventures in Babysitting?'  Though none of my babysitting jobs were quite that exciting, I sure had my fair share of odd situations - inlcuding: the little boy that I had the hide the kitchen knives from, a family that lived on the wrong side of the tracks (literally), and a little girl who choose to share a little bit too much family information with me!

3 comments:

Soozcat said...

So if I call your house, can I talk to Jenny? ;)

Wendy Jean said...

Lol! Do you think anyone has this number?

Soozcat said...

Believe it or not, someone has taken the time to check every area code in the USA for the answer to this burning question:

http://www.danstheman.com/Jenny.htm

Only on the Internet.

Post a Comment