Just Talk!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

I received an email just before noon on Saturday that said, "Awsumb has been asked to give a talk in Primary (Sunday School) tomorrow at church, is he ready?"

My reply went something like this, "What?  This is the first I have heard about this, let me talk with Awsumb about this."  (Because normally we  would talk about the subject, look up a few stories or scriptures, maybe even gather or color a picture for him to show and of course, practice the talk!)

So, with a  full Saturday of events planned,  I try not to freak out and go find Awsumb to figure out what is going on.  Awsumb confirmed he was asked to give a talk.

"When were you planning on telling me about this?" I asked him.

And his calm, cool and collected response was, "I was just planning to get up there an talk!" 

Yep, that's my son. No preparation, just stand up and talk.  Where does this kid come from?  The funny thing is that I am sure he could get up and just talk and probably even about something relavant.  It's sort of a gift and a curse he has all in one.  At school his teachers report that he often takes over the lesson.  An although he often has great info to share on any subject, it's something he has to learn, something his mommy has not ever learned... that it's not always his time to talk!

At this time his greatest struggle is to just be a kid. And that also means humbling himself enough to listen and learn. To not talk, to not talk back or argue.  I know that my son may feel the expectations of perfection that we put on him. He has always been such a good boy. And we are so proud of him and all that he is. I hope that his precocious ability to be able express himself will become an asset to him as an adult.

0 comments:

Post a Comment