The Gift of Nothing

Monday, December 6, 2010

Last year I talked a little about not letting the Grinch steal your Christmas and my own journey from stressful to joyful holidays.  I think most of the stress people feel around the holidays is self inflicted. Stress about shopping, making the most perfect handmade gifts, or even having the most perfectly decorated house!  If these things don't make you happy, stop complaining about them and simply don't do them! 

When I decorate for the holidays my family room feels complete. But years ago I sorted through and kept only my most favorite items including, books, nativity, and ornaments.  This way when I open up these boxes each year I am excited to set out each item and think about it's meaning to me.  You can see some of them in last years blog Deck The Halls.

But there is one small thing I worry about each year.  What to send all of our siblings. We live so far away that we can't just make it a point to spend time with them. So sending them something is our little way of being there.  Years ago we tried to find family fun night type of activities. Then for a few years we thought we could start a tradition of sending a Christmas book each year, but soon had trouble finding that 'perfect book.'  For now it's sending Christmas music as it's something Kenneth likes best.
A year or so ago we found this little book, The Gift of Nothing by Patrick McDonnell.  Mooch wants to give his best friend Earl the perfect gift.  But Earl has everything.  SO he spends all this time trying to come up with something... and finally puts NOTHING in a box and delivers it to Earl.

 Earl opens the empty box and exclaims,
"There's nothing here!" 
"Yesh!"said Mooch.
"Nothing...but me and you."
So Mooch and Earl just stayed still
and enjoy nothing
and everything.

I know I talked about Being Present last year.  But, I really do think about it all the time and how being present is the best gift we have to offer. To really BE present to our family takes sacrifice and selflessness as we give up some of our own dreams fulfull theirs. 

This year my Aunt and Uncle are coming to spend Christmas with us again.  Although I already know they are bringing a super special Christmas gift that every 9 year old wishes they had, the best gift they are bringing to our house is the gift of their presence! 

Every December we visit a few of our favorite families in the area and find their homes stuffed with their children.  And more recently with children who have returned home with their own children so they can all share Christmas together. For many of the years that Kenneth and I were trying to have a child we often went home and found ourselves in tears, wondering if we would ever be able to fill our home with children, let alone grandchildren.

To have my house filled up with family is such a miracle and I hope the Hardy's will visit for Christmas again sometime as well as my own parents. Then we can truly enjoy eachother's presence!

Of course this isn't enough if your 'love language' is receiving gifts! But that's another blog.  Although I fall into this category, you should know it's the bow that matters!  The smallest gift makes me happy as long as it's tied with a pretty ribbon! ;)

Click here to read about more of our favorite Christmas Books

I hope this year we can be still and enjoy nothing...

and everything, together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment