Love Is A Mix Tape

Monday, December 6, 2010

The story goes something like this... On one of our first 'dates' (if you can call it that), I leaned over and switched off Kenneth's precious radio and that was the end of the soundtrack of his life!

If I remember right, we were having a heated discussion, but I didn't consciously do this to get his full attention or something... I just did it.  The thing is sometimes music in the background just winds me up or distracts me.  Sometimes we listen to music in bed and I finally just have to turn it off because I will stay awake listening to it and never let myself fall asleep!

Kenneth's love of music started at an early age.  By age 7 he was painting his face and making carboard guitars and rocking out to KISS (Ya, I bet that freaked his mom out!) and then of course there was Billy Joel and Olivia Newton-John!  He found his voice in Jr. High choir classes and by High School performed with the Granger Madrigal's and On Stage (a performing group connected to a local dance studio.)

Kenneth likes just about all music (even country, which I can't stand  - yuck!) and has quite the collection.  I am so sick of finding bottle caps and pieces of carboard piled on his desk because they include free music download codes!  Thank goodness for music subscriptions like Rhapsody

When we were first married Kenneth actually sung in a grunge band. The grunge scene became popular while he served and LDS mission and though he didn't care for it he wrote some lyrics and sung as the lead singer to help out a friend. I never even saw him perform because I wasn't 21 and couldn't get into the private club's where they performed. Kenneth didn't really like singing in smokey clubs and it didn't last. 

If Kenneth didn't have to work at Mircrosoft to earn the big bucks to support his demanding wife, he would like to grow up to be Ben Folds (a modern day Billy Joel).  In the meantime he makes a mean mix tape!  He has been making mix tapes for me since before we were really “together.” Over the years he makes them with current old and even traditional vocals like Frank Sinatra and creates a story that’s relevant to what we are going through in our relationship, for special road trips, etc.

He made a CD for Awsumb once that included super hero theme songs and ended with the song Never A Better Hero, which he is often asked to sing in church. It’s a contemporary LDS song about Christ being the greatest hero. Who would think to add the spider-man theme song with a hymn? Kenneth!

If I ask Kenneth to do any random household chore, he takes more time selecting 'just the right music' for the job, than it would have taken for me to do that task myself!  And like father like son, Awsumb LOVES music and has it playing 24-7 when he's hanging out in his room or around the house. I actually had to draw a line on his kids CD player when he was 2 so he woundn't turn it up too loud!  So, although from MY perception we always have music on in the house...  I guess Kenneth seems to think I'm always  switching it off.  I just get sick of songs really fast (and don't tolerate much but alternative). 
Check out the book Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time  by Rob Sheffield 
Kenneth and I think the audio version should come with the soundtrack!

I guess this new generation no longer uses the term "mix tape" as we all just make "play lists" on our ipods or music players these days... Kenneth often gives me mix tapes at Christmas, Valentines or Anniversaries. The truth is I look forward to them as much as any other sparkly something he might give me (but don't tell him that!). Kenneth just had a way with coming up with great themes and putting songs together.

A few years ago, during a very trying time in our life Kenneth began a mix tape he called The Comeback that began with The Mixed Tape by Jack's Manneuin.  The song ends with this line,
"And this is my mixed tape for her,
It's like I wrote
every note
with my own fingers."

And because I know he can't spend all day writing music, it means a lot that he takes the time to make these for me! Thanks Kenneth!

0 comments:

Post a Comment