3-D

Tuesday, July 26, 2011


I just hate 3-D.  So I was pretty mad when we showed up at the last Harry Potter movie to find out it was in 3-D.  I am pretty sure Kenneth knew this and choose not to tell me.  At least we got these cool Harry Potter style glasses (more about them later).

Why does every new movie have to be in 3-D anyway?  It's like they are just putting it into random things now, not even just movies that go with the whole 3-D effect.  I HATE 3-D!  It gives me a headache!  And when we end up at a movie we didn't realize was in 3-D I always pout about it. I get 3-D for a campy movie like JAWS.  But in general the 3-D effect should only enhance the movie - just enough to make it seem more real... The viewer should be able to forget about the effect rather than having something pop up in their face every two minutes reminding them they are sitting in a theater and removing them from the story.

Here are some of my complaints: 3-D glasses are always too big for me.  My 3-D glasses are always crooked.  My 3-D glasses are always scratched or foggy because they have cheap lenses.  3-D glasses at an IMAX leave that dumb mark on your head.  And finally that nasty headache I end up with...

Some people might say it's all in your head, but they are wrong, there is a name for it:  vergence-accommodation.  And apparently the act of trying to focus can cause headache for some people.

The night after we saw the final Harry Potter movie we went to see Captain America in 3-D.  As a joke, partway through the movie when my son left to use the restroom, I swapped my big glasses with his kid sized glasses. OH MY HECK They were soooo much better!  And he was so kind he told me I could wear them the rest of the movie.  I was able to forget the movie was even in 3-D!  Then I realized that besides the fact that my Harry Potter glasses were warped they actually fit better than any 3-D glasses I had worn... The lesson- wear smaller glasses?  Maybe that will help me in the future...

Click to read What's the problem with 3-D? 

1 comments:

Shilo said...

Hahaha! Eric would totally agree with you. He rants about every movie being in 3D and can't stand it.
I enjoyed it for Harry Potter though. But I noticed that Tanis had much better fitting glasses than I did for it and my glasses kept cutting into my ears...
Don't blame you for hating them at all! :D

Post a Comment