Monopoly Killer

Friday, August 14, 2009


I don't think I ever played a complete game of Monopoly until a few years ago. We had the missionaries over for dinner one night and as it often does the conversation turned to board games. One of the Elders was a Monopoly fanatic. They begged us to play, and we did. We had purchased a nice copy of the game in a collectors tin yeas ago, but this was the first (and LAST) time we played it. Why? It's depressing! Winner takes all. This is definatley why Settlers has over taken Monopoly. But I did learn that I had never really played the game correctly. Who knew you were supposed to auction off the properties? And to find out there was no Free Parking was a let down. (though Kenneth reminded me that's what made the game drag on, big comebacks) Thus, our nice collectors tin of Monopoly will continue to live in the back of the game closet. I will say that Monopoly does have some great bits! It doesn't get any better than the little shoe!

The article from WIRED that I shared in my last post started me thinking about what really makes a cool game. And while good bits are a huge plus, the game has to be fun to play. In Settler, the trading of rescources promotes interaction and team work. To win Cosmic Encounters a player simply needs five bases on other people's planets. This can only been accomplices with allies.

But one of the things that makes a game great is when the game changes it's own rules. This is why I love Cosmic. Each person draws a random Alien with special powers. These powers change the rules of the game. Making each time you play a totally different game. After all, who wants to play the same exact game over and over again? Settlers has enough variables right from the start with the random placement of resouce hexes and numbers for production die rolls.

Could Monopoly be reworked to provide a different experience everytime? Probably not, because the game itself is one person stompin on everyone else, not to mention the elimination aspect as player go broke one by one. That alone doesn't make it a good social game. There has to be give and take, allies, switching sides, etc. Unless of course you play games with us for the first time and Kenneth leans over and says, "Wendy's ruthless, don't trade with her" and from the beginning everyone gangs up on me!

Yes, Kenneth says this to everyone new person that plays games with us. I have recently relized that this is Kenneth's strategy because he is such a terrible board game player! Or maybe it's because his role to to read the rules and try to figure out how to teach us all these cool new games and he doesn't have time to develop his own strategy. Not to mention when we demand he make us all drinks!

P.S. Monopoly Jr. is a great kids game! Basic addition, counting, etc.

Here's a funny McDonald's commercial featurin Settlers of Catan in place of the annual Monopoly promotion...

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I've never really appreciated Monopoly either, but I have to agree that Monopoly Jr. is a great game for kids. Mine have all enjoyed it!

Kenneth said...

I'm not totally into Monopoly either, but it is actually a really balanced game (nice mix of luck and light strategy) that actually has the opportunity to teach kids about managing money... until we all change the rules. There are at least two reasons Monopoly drags out SOOOOO long:

1: The auction rule. No one EVER plays it, but that would make the property run out faster. It would make some desirable properties available with less luck and help people run out of money faster.

2: Free Parking. There's a reason this is NOT an official rule. The only thing this does is extend the game - adds in more random luck. (And teach kids the "value" of winning the lottery?)

Anyway, the reason I don't like Monopoly is the player elimination mechanic. There's an interesting thing to chew on. Is it better to be "out of the game" literally (in Monopoly) or virtually (Settlers)? At least in Settlers, you're still part of the party (and you can build things with the wood bits!)

I've posted a ton here so I'll save my thoughts on Eurogames vs. Ameritrash games. Maybe I should write a blog about it.

Ange said...

My friend who is big into games introduced me to "Ticket to Ride". Have you played it? It's pretty fun. :)

I'm with you on Monopoly. I have no idea why that game is so popular... it's not my favorite by any means.

Post a Comment