The Totally Awsumb Nose

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

When I was young I didn't like my nose. It seemed too cute and silly to me… along with my long red hair, freckles and the name 'Wendy.' I didn't want to be silly or cute. I didn't want to be the little girl with long red braids on the Wendy's Hamburgers sign. I wanted to be grown up and sophisticated. I wanted to change my name to be “Nancy Erekson.”

Of course I love my father very much. The very thought of him makes me giggle. And so, over the years I have come to accept this nose, as it is also my father’s nose. And of course now my little one has the nose.

Dennis Awsumb 1970

Ardin Awsumb 1942

So one day this summer I showed Awsumb these two photos my father and his father. I love these photos because together, they show a father and son in a rare state, at the same age…. Both about to take on the world, with maybe uncertain futures at the start of their service in the U.S. Army.

So I said to Awsumb, “Look at Great Grandpa’s nose and my Dad’s nose. Can you see that they have the same nose.” He studied the photos for a while and I said, "Now, look at MY nose.” And he recognized it as the same nose. Then I said, now go look in the mirror at your nose. And he ran to the bathroom making those cute little pitter-pats that I will never grow tired of hearing. After a moment I heard him exclaim, “I have the nose.” Then he ran back to proudly show me that he was of course a true Awsumb because he had THE NOSE!
And because it drives me totally nuts when other people put music on their blogs and webpages... Here is a link to appropriate accompaniment to this post! Pictures of You From one of my favorite CD's (do they even call them that anymore) Poison Kiss by The Last Goodnight


4 comments:

Kenneth said...

I love your nose!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Fabulous old pics (and the new one of Awsumb). What a super cute post. And I think you looked SO STINKIN CUTE in that pic. How old are you in that pic? Too cute.

Wendy Jean said...

I am in 2nd grade. The photo of Awsumb is from last year, I will have to replace it with his 2nd grade photo that will be taken in a couple weeks.

Mickie Ann said...

WOW!!! I love it!!! I have my dad's ears. When we first moved to Idaho Falls, the mom of one of my friends (who knew my dad when they were younger) when she first met me she said "You have Bruce Tietjen ears" That has always been a compliment for me! The pictures of Dennis & his dad are amazing. I copied them into my computer files, if that is okay. I don't have very many of Dennis at all. (also - sorry about the music on my blog - I use it as music for me to listen to as I am on the computer, that is why it changes all the time)

Post a Comment