My Kid Could Paint That

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

As one of the journalists talks about in this movie I am one that has never understood modern art. I admit that somehow I feel like it is laughing at me, telling me that I am not sophisticated enough to understand it. I think mostly it's just because it is usually messy.

I took a pottery class in college. The first day we were told that everything we made was art and that if we followed the techniques and came to class we would all do well. Depsite going in on Saturdays for extra workshops and acing the written exams about the history of pottery, I still barely got a passing grade. My bowl looked more like one of those ashtrays kids make in second grade art class. In fact, mine wasn't even as good!

So when I found this movie a few years ago I thought it was quite interesting. As the story unfolds we meet Marla, 4 year old little girl who's father just happened to give her a few paint brushes. The next thing her parents knew, tv entertainment news hours were showcasing Little Marla... Is it really art? Is it really Marla? This documentary is very interesting study about what happens when we possibly place more importance on things that might not have been quite honest in the first place.

That being said, Marla is darling. I hope her parents pull back and give her a normal childhood and that they remember to pay some attention to her little brother. Could my kid paint that? Probably not. We all know I would never let my kid make a mess like that. He would have to paint outside in his undershirt LOL! Because I am sure real paint doesn't wash out as well as Crayola!

I was cleaning the kitchen when I happened upon this the other day and was again sucked into watching the story of Marla and her family. Have you seen this documentary? What do you think? Did Marla really paint that? Was she coached? Does it even mean anything anyway?Watching the buyers in the art gallery try to explain the little girls art was pretty funny. LOL!

Check out My Kid Could Paint That and discuss...

0 comments:

Post a Comment