Anatomy of a Gummy Bear

Sunday, September 6, 2009


When did Gummy Bears become a food group? Since I have been a parent these 8 years I have not been able to understand the concept of Fruit Snacks? I see people regularly include these in their child's meal and count it as a "fruit" or feed them to their toddler thinking they are providing a nutritional snack.

Do they realize they are just feeding them Gummy Bears? Would they just give them a bag of Gummy Bears? I don't think so... but if Kellogg's puts it in a cute shape and calls them "Fruit Snacks" all of a suddent they are O.K.? I feel like this is just one more way our kids don't understand where our food comes from, or even what it is.

Let's compare their nutritional value. First lets start with the serving size. A bag of basic Gummy Bears claims 22, while Fruit Snacks have limited the package size to 10. So, for this comparision I cut the serving size of the Gummy Bears in half.

Gummy Bears / Fruit Snacks
Calories 75 / 80
Carbs 17g / 21g
Sugars 11g / 14g
Protein 1.5 / 0

Seems clear to me. What's the difference? At least with true gummy bears you get a bit of protein, probably from the geletin? OH, I admit I am leaving out the 100% daily dose of Vitamin C that is included in Fruit Snacks and not in Gummy Bears? It still doesn't make sense to me. Especially when Gummy Bears on high on the list of dental "No, No's" .... AND have you ever eaten a Fruit Snack? They are gross, their texture is all wrong. I am not even a candy person, but Gummy Bears are much more pleasurable. So why does every grocery store have an entire 3-4 foot Fruit Snack display?

Have I ever purchased Fruit Snacks? Yes, to go along with a party theme as a treat! Join me and next time buy GUMMY BEARS instead!

Just a rant I have been dying to share since he was first served Fruit Snacks in his Church Nursery Class. And I was reminded of this when I served my son some Haribo Gummy Frogs as a treat during his living room camp out today!

To see more fun work by Jason Freeny click here...

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Fruit snacks and gummy bears work great for a low blood sugar. We keep our pantry stocked!

Mickie Ann said...

Tietjen has 10 cavaties, ANnie has 4 - I blame fruit snacks - we hardly get them at all any more - I hate them!!! - Good thing Medicad pays for their dental work - also - I think there is some genetic problems - but I do blame fruit snacks & juice - IT NOTHING BUT SUGAR!!!!!!

Wendy Jean said...

jennie- exactly, they are candy! Mickie- yeah, I have a juice rant too!!

Teeth- I will say, I think a lot much have to do with genetics. I have never had a cavity, and while I do floss and brush religiously I do drink Soda (diet coke with lime anyone?!) Kenneth on the other hand has one problem after another.... And I remember Jennie always having issues too when we were kids. And because of that she might have even been more strict with brushing and all that, but it just didn't matter. I hope Awsumb turns out to have my teeth and not Kenneth's!

Post a Comment