Potty Time

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The diaper years were a nightmare for me.  And I will admit to calling Kenneth home from the office a time or two.  It was just more than I could take... not to mention having to change anyone else's kid (more about that later!)  I was very specific about diapering rituals.  One of the added benefits of breastfeeding is that breastfed babies diapers are sooo much easier to deal with!  Thank goodness!  At one point I was asked to be part of a study for a diaper company.  Once the lady started going through the specifics with me I knew there was no way I could handle such a thing.  "But you'll get paid," they lady kept saying as I told her this was just wasn't going to work!

I couldn't wait to potty train and luckily my child expressed interest quickly.  So first off was to find a children's book on the subject. So many books on this subject are so gross and even inappropriate for kids.  I didn't want some book with pictures of a kid bending over say, "I have a hole right here."  (seriously found one that included and illustration... And then there was the humorous ones... I simply don't tolerate potty humor.  I was so happy when I found THE POTTY BOOK by Alyssa Satin Capucilli

The Potty Book comes in a pink and blue version, one for girls and one for boys.  The star of the book is Henry, who is growing up and "can do lots of things each day..."  One day Mommy brings him home a box, "My very own potty, to use when I am ready."  Henry practices sitting on the potty and even has an accident.  Then one morning he wakes up and says, "I'm off to the potty, I think this time I'm ready!"  His parents celebrate and Henry gets to pick out new underwear.  Henry's a big boy now and "can run and jump and play without a wet diaper getting in his way."  My little boy just loved this book and quickly had it memorized and felt the need to repeat it loudly in public restrooms!

Much like weaning from the breast children first need to be ready. Expose them to potty time. From most of what I have read it helps if they have seen other people go potty (I know, this is more than you want to know!)  But if they know this is what big kids and adults do they aren't as worried about it.

Next - for me was to skip the potty chair. I went out to find the perfect little easy to clean chair.  The first time some other kid came over and used it that was it for me! It was contaminated and I wanted nothing more to do with it. Instead pick out a nice stool and seat that clips on the big potty.

No Pullups!  Get some nice thick cotton training pants. Dress your kids in sweats with elastic around the ankles and stay home for a few days.  Everyone I know that used Pullups during the day took longer training their child. Even at night I would try to avoid them.  Often, especially boys can have issues at night later one, even years after potty training.  At that point they can be useful if you are sick of changing sheets in the middle of the night.

It's all or nothing.  In my opinion if your kid isn't trained to go #2, they aren't trained.  I can't even tell you the nightmares I have had with other people's kids when it comes to #2.  Don't go around bragging that they are trained, then dropping them off to be babysat for the day.  Oh and if they haven't gone #2 for a couple days that would be good info to share as well!  Enough said!  LOL!  And please offer to help clean up the mess or at least your own child instead of standing them laughing at the person having a panic attack!  I seriously needed some serious meds after that episode!

Rewards - M&M's must be in the invisible parenting book.  That's because they work!  At the time I potty trained my little boy MINI M&M's were all the rage and even in mini form 2-3 worked like a charm!

What are your best potty training tips?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Presents!!! Haylee was ready but she was stubborn. One morning she woke up and I took her into the bathroom to see about 15 wrapped gifts (totally cheap stuff 1.00 or LESS) and I told her anytime she went potty she got a present. Worked like a charm -we only did the presents for every time she went for the first couple of days after that they were only for when she pooped and she got smarties the other times. Only had to do that a week at most and she was done! She just needed a little extra motivation. Seeing that huge stack of presents was the trick! :) --Tara

Wendy Jean said...

OH, the dollar store, a great source of bribes and prizes! LOL! I have a friend who uses dollar store gifts as rewards for each hour of good behavior on a long road trip. She wraps them and passes them to the back seat from time to time.

Good suggestion Tara!

Post a Comment