What's wrong with teaching dance to 6 year olds!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Recently we saw the movie Adjustment Bureau, which all about destiny.  The main character is faced with the choice to let the love of his life lead her life without him as she goes on to be a great dancer and choreographer or spend their life together AND.... wait for it... teach dance to six year olds!

What's so wrong with teaching dance to 6 year olds anyway?  Happily Ever After with the love of your life, a family and inspiring six year olds, giving them a love and appreciation for music and movement sounds like a happy ending if I ever heard one!  After being released from serving for years in the Children's Primary Presidency at church I was presented with a beautiful framed saying:

One Hundred Years from now

It will not matter
what kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
how much money was in my bank account
nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be a better place because
I was important in the life of a child.
 
Sometimes I think people mix up priorities...  Besides the fact that this movie was advertised to look like adventure, it was simple a love story and because I don't usually like romance stuff... I didn't think think it was very good.... This movie was so predictable, I actually spent time checking out the decor and lighting in the theater!  BLACK SWAN on the other hand - LOVED IT!

What's your version of Happily Ever After?

I am coming up on 16 years of marriage. Click to read about my Love Story

And don't forget this artists version of these Fallen Princesses

To read more about this subject and the Divine Role of Women see my previous blog: Making the Home a Sacred Place

1 comments:

Soozcat said...

When I was young I asked my mother about what was, at the time, a common dogma in our church (and in the rest of the world, for that matter): the idea of finding a "one and only" soulmate who is perfectly right for you.

My mother is wise. She broke off dating a man she loved because her parents did not approve. She stopped dating another man she loved because, although her parents liked him, she knew he had no interest in remaining active in church, which was a deal breaker for her. And although the man she finally chose to marry was handsome, sensitive, devout and loving, he made very little money, suffered from depression, and died young in a car accident. Here is what my mother said:

"There is no such thing as one perfect person out there waiting for you. You have to decide ahead of time the important traits you really require (not just want) in a spouse, and look for people who meet those requirements. And although there may be no such thing as a perfect soulmate, when you get married you choose to *make* the person you married your soulmate. That's the key to happiness in marriage."

My husband isn't perfect -- I don't need to point to examples -- but neither am I, and yet he continues to put up with my faults because he made the decision a long time ago that he was in it for the long haul.

People do mix up their priorities. They tend to believe that life is about following your bliss -- sometimes to the exclusion of all other responsibilities. Too much of our society seems to view marriage as a heavy burden and raising children as some kind of cop-out -- the activity you fall back on when you can't make a living. This is so screwed up I hardly know where to begin. Marriage and family life create some of the tenderest, most intimate and valuable experiences of our short time on earth.

Post a Comment