Washing Stuffies

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Official instructions will tell you to spot clean a stuffed animal.  But when you live with OCD and severe allergies this just isn't going to cut it!  I have successfully been regularly washing my child's favorite furry companions over the past 10 years.

When the preschool class Teddy Bear came for a visit at our house, Teddy had to go through a full decontamination process. Whoever came up with that idea, to pass Teddy around... oh, how did I want to wring their neck!  To think of all the homes it had been to simple gave me a panic attack. And to top it off, he came with a full suitcase of blankets, clothes and things the kids had donated to the furry bundle of cooties... I mean, come on, that's what it was. Included with the bear was a journal of all the homes he had been to and places he had been, the movie theater, camping, etc. Yuck, yuck, yuck!  I totally washed that thing to death - along with all it's belongings gambling that it wouldn't fall apart!

Before washing always check the seams and make any repairs needed.

Wash in zippered pillow case.  This will contain the stuffing in case it falls apart.  If you use a thick flannel, it can also keep things like the eyes from getting scratched. I learned that lesson the hard way after I washed The Grinch.  Just a few scratches of his eyes and he looked like a green devil.  Thus, he was no longer fun to hold  and sadly, he was eventually used as some sort of joke gift!

Use fabric softener or dryer sheets and they might even come out softer than before!

The high heat of a drying cycle can also kill dust mites and other cooties.

Other alternatives include:  Spot cleaning, which was the best I could do with the beloved Bob the Builder because he contained a sound box... Eventually we just had to put him to rest.

Sprinkle baking soda in a large paper sack, enclose stuffy inside and shake to freshen bad odors.

Freeze stuffies for a day or two.  But this one breaks my rules about contamination.

And finally, regularly vacuuming stuffed animals and other things that can't be washed is always a good thing.

I was just thinking that keeping them each enclosed in individual Ziplock bags would be a great idea... But as any literate Kmart shopper knows:

Warning: To avoid danger of suffocation, keep this plastic bag away from babies and children. Do not use this bag in cribs, beds, carriages or playpens. The plastic bag could block nose and mouth and prevent breathing. This bag is not a toy.

My final tip about stuffed animals is where to keep them. I purchased coordinating laundry basket to act as a sort of "dog bed" for Awsumb's stuffed animals.  And finally - don't be afraid to throw them out!  No matter how much they are loved, if it became too contaminated I would toss one in a heartbeat!  Seeing kids drag around filthy blankets and stuffed animals is just beyond gross to me.  Because I know this can be hard on a little one I do my best to help my son keep his most favorites safe. 

How you do keep your kids stuffed animals clean and contained?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I remember the first time Wyatt threw up at night and all over a few of his stuffies. They went in the hot water with the sheets and turned out fine! I do the dryer on hot for when we get back from vacation and stuffy has traveled with us. I remember the class bear well and how gross it was for me. I usually cleaned the contents of the bag and threw the bear in the dryer when she got here.
By the way, Wyatt's very favorite stuffy right now is the little dog from Awsumb. He takes that thing everywhere! Come to think of it, it is due for the washer:)

Wendy Jean said...

DO you think it was still the same bear? What was his/her name anyway? I can't remember. Oh my that thing freaked me out soo bad. Awsumb wanted to sleep with it the first night and I put it in quarantine until I could get it all washed up.

Post a Comment