The Story of the World

Friday, March 25, 2011

Awsumb as Indiana Jones - March 2011
In his quest to become an archaeologist I suggested Awsumb read all he can about history.  When his Hardy Grandparents sent money for Christmas I was excited to finally purchase a series of books I found out about through home school moms.  The Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer is a great series for young elementary age kids.  You can purchase workbooks to go along with them, but I just wanted them to be fun reading. I figured we could read a chapter together each day, but Awsumb was so excited about them that he has gone ahead without me and just finished Volume 1.  Each chapter he has been so excited to share what he is learning as he connects things from his life in modern times, current events and religion.  I am so excited about HIS excitement.

When Awsumb read the chapter on the young King Tut he said, "Mom, King Tut died at age 18. The book didn't say how... I just have to know how, he was so young!  Was it disease?  What?" The next day checked out and read three children's books about King Tut from the school library.

I am so thrilled for his hunger for knowledge and glad he has a love of reading.  These would be great books to read together as a family with young children to inspire them to learn more about history.
I recently read  A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It's a quick read or a fun listen as an audio book.  Check out the children's book he wrote, A Really Short History of Nearly Everything.  It begins with the Big Bang to What Now?  Awsumb also received this at Christmas and loves leisurely looking through the bright illustrations.

Thank you Grandpa and Grandma Hardy!

1 comments:

Soozcat said...

Woot woot for archaeology!

Post a Comment